Thursday, April 23, 2015

Uh, what was I doing?

One of the Hero's fears is any sign he might see that he is developing pre-Alzheimer's. Though it is not a medical diagnosis as far as we know, he is certain that it exists and that someday, when he leasts expect it, he will be looking for his phone and find that he has put it in the dishwasher.

I do occasionally find empty containers in the refrigerator, but at my questioning look he insists that this is not forgetfulness on his part. It is intentional, he says, emphasizing that last word so I will not get any funny ideas about his cognitive functioning. Usually the cause of this phenomenon—he says—is a combination of laziness and sanitary concern: He does not want to take the time to rinse the container, nor does he want to leave out a container that has food remains to accumulate spots worthy of scientific experimentation.

But he continues to worry.

The other day I opened the refrigerator to find his green cup sitting on the middle shelf, empty. I know this was his green cup because he is usually the only one to drink from the green cups. Unlike the occasional empty containers, I could not see a reason for the cup, with or without contents, to be in the fridge. I hoped there was a rational explanation.

"Did you, uh, mean to put your cup in the fridge with nothing in it?" I asked tentatively. I thought it was probably best not to appear accusatory to someone whose cognitive functions might be slipping just a bit.

He blanched, asked me twice where I'd found it, asked if I was sure it had been in the fridge, had me show him exactly where I had found it, and then shook his head.

"So begins my descent," he said despondently. "It's not even a slow descent. Just—whoomp!" He plunged his hand downward. He predicted that next he would be putting the milk carton in the pantry.

I did not think it would reassure him if I mentioned that my father had done things like that. But my father had been way older. Way, way older.

The Hero threw himself into brain activity, playing chess online, doing coding on the computer, anything that might help slow this deterioration of the little gray cells, if indeed that’s what was occurring. Other people have their own methods. Friends of ours have started putting turmeric in just about everything they cook after reading that it is supposed to prevent senility. I have taken up doing crossword puzzles at work while I wait for my bread to toast. My boss shook her head when she saw that my book was a collection of "easy" puzzles. It was particularly sad, she said, for an editor. I quickly pointed out that I also do hangman puzzles, and that book is labeled "challenging." So hopefully it all evens out.

I am thinking that perhaps I could come up with some things for the Hero to do to try to ward off brain malfunction. Cleaning out closets, perhaps, or redoing a bathroom.

But first, if you'll excuse me, I need to go look for my keys. I know they're around here somewhere.

2 comments:

A Distant and Appalled Nosy Neighbor said...

Please tell the Hero that his solution of putting empty used containers back in the refrigerator is BRILLIANT, and he has nothing to worry about regarding brain health. He staves off the growth of unwanted scientific experiments PLUS he does not have to clean up after himself. On the other hand, I would council the Princess to not allow him to get away with this deviousness. :)

ilovecomics said...

If left to his own devices, we would probably find ourselves with mostly empty containers in the refrigerator, and the entire tedious step of washing them and putting them back into the cupboard would be skipped. Just leave them in the fridge and refill as needed!