Friday, March 2, 2007

Morning people

My husband's family are Morning People. When we stay with my in-laws, the phone begins ringing at 5:30 every morning. One by one, the siblings call to inquire how everyone slept, who snored, and whether there is anything new since 9:00 the night before, when they last called. As one sibling is talking with my in-laws, the others are all calling each other to talk about what my in-laws said to them, and so they all have to call back again to talk about what the others all discussed. With four siblings, this can go on all morning.

One morning my husband's parents were trying to get us up for breakfast. They tried everything. A juicy description of the food. Pleadings. The smell of fresh coffee.
Threats that they were going to eat everything and there wouldn't be any for us. Then it was quiet for a few minutes, and I thought they had given up. But they had just gone for fresh ammunition.

"Are they playing maracas?" I said.

We collapsed in laughter, then yelled that we were coming.

"Never mind now," my father-in-law said. "It's almost time for lunch."

No comments: