Monday, September 23, 2013

CSA week 3

On Saturday mornings we eagerly wait for 9:00, which is when we can go pick up our CSA order from the bakery down the street. This event engenders excitement akin to a child getting candy from a benevolent relative, or to adults getting free food from anyone. Neither of which is true in this case. Maybe we should get out more.

Last Saturday, since I was out of town seeing relatives, I had to miss this occasion. The Hero would have the privilege of picking up the food himself. As soon as I got up that morning -- two hours before the rendezvous could take place -- I texted him. 

"Remember our food pickup?" I said anxiously.

"Well, duh," he texted back. "I like food too."

Knowing I would be immobilized by curiosity about this week's food until I heard from him, once the food was safely home he laid it all out on the counter, and then thoughtfully videotaped it. There was a lovely shot of Arctic char, cheddar jack cheese, Arctic char, cheddar jack cheese...

The video stubbornly refused to move beyond this view. I could see the tantalizing leaves of ...something.

"What on far right?" he texted, indicating something he couldn't identify.

"?" I answered. "Only see fish cheese."

He described a vegetable that did not sound exactly like turnips, but because I knew turnips were on the list, I said, "Turnips?" 

The unknown vegetable turned out to be Swiss chard, which I figured out because it was also on the list and was a lot greener than the turnips, which I hadn't seen in the video.

If the CSA people really wanted to mess with us, it wouldn't be too hard. Just put "sunchoke" on the list, then sit back and watch us happily go about believing the kohlrabi to be sunchoke, because we have no idea what sunchoke looks like. Or even if it's edible. Or even if there's anything called sunchoke.

We are obsessed by food, you are thinking? I'll let you know as soon as  I figure out what to do with my sunchoke.

No comments: