Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Approved for unemployed viewers

Being suddenly unemployed, I find it helpful to surround myself with uplifting, encouraging things, like eggnog and vanilla ice cream and a shake maker. So when our Netflix movie arrived, I anticipated an evening of fun, such as from watching an encouraging Christmas movie, for instance.


"What movie is it?" I asked the Hero.


"Uh, it's about a boy who escapes from a concentration camp."


"Oh, that's uplifting," I said.


"Well, maybe it's a 'lighthearted' look at the concentration camp."


With much reluctance I agreed to watch the movie, but we were, sadly, prevented from watching it because of issues with the disk.


"See?" I said. "I am destined to watch something fun and lighthearted tonight." 


Reduced to choosing a movie from our limited stock, Joe put in several bids for "Behind Enemy Lines," which I declared 'not approved for unemployed viewers needing something lighthearted.' "


"Keep looking," I said.


"There's Rudolph," he said. "But I think we just watched that."


"We haven't watched anything Christmasy since last year."


"Like I said, we just watched it."


We settled on Ice Age, despite the movie's warning that it contained 'mild peril.'


"Do you think it qualifies as lighthearted?" the Hero asked. "Are you sure you don't want to watch Behind Enemy Lines?"


"I'll take my chances on Ice Age, thank you." 


It was almost like watching an entirely new movie because we had forgotten most of the story, except the squirrel who, during several episodes of 'mild peril,' is destined to forever chase, and never acquire, his acorn. 


It was the perfect movie to watch under the circumstances, even with the scenes of peril. Next time, we'll definitely add the eggnog and vanilla ice cream and shake maker.

No comments: