Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Hallmark Day

This year Valentine's Day was ushered in by a vehement, middle-of-the-night disagreement between a male and female somewhere within earshot of our rowhome. At least, we assumed there was a male involved, although we could only hear the female. It went on for some time.


"Looks like they won't be having a nice Valentine's Day," the Hero observed.


"Maybe they'll kiss and make up," I said. "Or maybe they'll exchange anti-Valentine's cards."


"Do they HAVE anti-Valentine's cards?"


"Hallmark has everything," I said.


Hallmark is pretty much responsible for the valentine phenomenon, and I figure they're not above putting another spin on the holiday if it helps business.


Earlier, the Hero and I had decided that we would not feel compelled to celebrate Valentine's Day. "I refuse to kowtow to Hallmark," the Hero declared.


"Me, too," I said.


But it is not always so easy. There on my computer keyboard on Valentine's morning was a card.


"So much for not kowtowing to Hallmark," I said.


"Well," he said sheepishly.


For my part, I was willing and able to not kowtow to Hallmark, but found it too much to resist kowtowing to the Hero's card. So I got him one in return.


Maybe next Valentine's Day we'll take on the floral industry.

2 comments:

A Nosy Neighbor said...

...Such romantics.....

ilovecomics said...

I suppose you think it is more romantic to go to a French restaurant that employs at least one chef who creates incredible yummy dishes and...wait...that IS more romantic...OK, next year can we come with you? :)