Monday, May 21, 2012

Are there bikes in Heaven?


When my father first became ill and it looked like he wouldn't be with us long, an acquaintance and I were speculating on what Heaven might be like. She knew of someone who worried that she might be bored in Heaven. "I know it's beautiful, I know it'll be wonderful--but what will we really do?"


We knew, of course, that a lot of singing goes on there, and although we enjoy singing, we wondered whether repeating "Hallelujah" over and over might not get a little monotonous. "Maybe it will be like the 'Hallelujah Chorus,' " I said. "Same words over and over, but you don't really mind because it sounds so nice."


"A friend of mine really loves bike riding," my acquaintance said. "He's looking forward to exploring Heaven on his bike."


The idea that our interests in this life might continue to occupy us throughout eternity gave us both pause. Certainly the thought of zipping around on wheels was not something either of us envisioned.


She confessed that she herself did not have many interests, and expressed concern about what she would find to do in Heaven. I shared her concern.


"Mostly, I like to sleep," I said. "But there's not going to be any night there."


"There is one thing I like to do," she said. "I like to eat."


I reminded her that the Bible refers to a banquet in Heaven, so there must be food. But she looked doubtful.


As much as my father enjoyed life, I know that after his arrival in Heaven he probably wondered why he ever wanted to stay hereThe Bible, of course, stresses that everything will be made new--new bodies, new Heaven, new earth. I'm hoping this means I'll finally have some gardening skills. That will be something new.

No comments: