Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The biggest lower lip

My mom always said I had the biggest lower lip she'd seen. When Joe and I got engaged, she told him all about it. "Just wait," she said. "It'll be the saddest thing you've ever seen, and you'll be helpless."

But the first time I used it on him, he was not impressed. "That's all you've got?" he said. "Where's the lower lip the size of Texas, like your mom said? I could do better than that."

And he does. He actually has a poutier, sadder lower lip than I do. He doesn't use it much, but when he does, I am helpless.

Sometimes I stick out my lower lip just to think. It's odd how changing your facial expression can help you ponder weighty problems, like whether you really have to abide by the "don't-wear-white-after-Labor-Day" rule. But this multitasking of the lower lip confuses Joe.

"What's the matter?" he'll ask with concern.

"Nothing, I'm just thinking," I'll say.

He'll make a face of his own, one that clearly communicates his exasperation with the inscrutable ways of women.

"Well, use some other face for thinking," he'll say. "You got me worried."

Hmmm, maybe my famous lower lip is impressive after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried the "pouting puppy dog eyes"! (Just in case Joe gets "immuned" to the pouting lower lip!)

ilovecomics said...

Hey, thanks for the tip! I'll have to remember to try that sometime.