Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Painting in real time

It may be that I missed making a blog entry yesterday, Labor Day, because we were attempting to Paint Your Whole House in 10 Minutes! (Including the Exterior!).

As it happens, that is not what we were doing yesterday, but
lately I have been pondering this and similar promises made in home improvement magazines. Nothing energizes homeowners more for the task of improving their home than the thought of getting it done quickly, unless it is a lot of caffeine and aspirin.

Wow, I think when I read these articles. Here are real people, painting real houses (most of which could swallow our house with little effort), in only 10 minutes!

Unfortunately, my enthusiasm for a painting project does not even last 10 minutes. And even with my vast experience with painting, dating all the way back to 2006, just deciding on a color takes me longer than the time many people stay in one house. By the time I finally choose a color -- for one room -- and go to the paint store, the color has been discontinued and I have to start all over again ("I'm sorry,
ma'am, that color went out with avocado refrigerators").

Then there is the matter of gathering all the other supplies, things like brushes, stirrers, pans, painter's tape, dropcloths, a chisel to open the paint can with, a hammer to close it again when I'm done,
rollers, roller covers, power rollers, rolling pins, etc. I prefer to just buy out the entire paint section at Home Depot rather than attempt to choose individual items. I'm sure that at some point in my painting career I will need aluminum fence touch-up paint.

About the only part of the whole painting process that takes just 10 minutes is deciding I don't like the new color, after all. That the old color was better. Of course, since the old color predates avocado refrigerators by several decades, I have to get used to the new one.

At least until someone tells me how to Paint Your House in 5 Minutes!....

No comments: