Thursday, October 7, 2010

A case for the indecisive

I could not be more happy with my new phone, which gives me an actual keyboard on which to text instead of having to use the number pad, requiring about 15 minutes per letter. Now, with the keyboard, I spend only 11 minutes per letter, due to my extremely elementary typing skills. But I have definitely put them to use in the short time I have owned my phone. I have, for instance, texted Joe several times, and he, in turn, has promptly ignored most of my texts.


But my phone lacks a cool case, and if I am going to spend my time sending texts that no one reads, I might as well do it on a phone that looks cool. In my vast research on phone cases I came across some must-haves, including one that has "tire tracks" on it, presumably to give your phone that sought-after effect of having been run over by a motorcycle without suffering the more negative effects of that actually happening. Difficult as it was, I passed up the tire track case.


I was, however, strongly attracted to the "dot" case, which not only comes in several colors but includes several large, interchangeable plastic dots for the back of the case. These dots offer endless possibilities for decorating your phone case and for plunging individuals like me, for whom choosing even a pair of socks uses up all available mental energy, to face an almost infinite amount of soul-wrenching decisions every day


Unfortunately -- or maybe fortunately for me -- the dot case is not available yet for my phone, so I reluctantly kept looking. I did consider sending off several texts to Apple to express my dismay about the lack of a dot case for my phone, and strongly suggest that they make it available soon. But they would just ignore my texts, of course.


I finally settled on a simple case in a "goldenrod" color, which as far as I could tell is simply a bright yellow, and whose chief attraction is that it is bright enough to find in my purse. (For years I have wished for a yellow car, for the simple reason that I could find it more easily in a parking lot.) 


The term "goldenrod" has a special significance at my office, where it is the name given to corrections that must be made to lesson manuals published with a mistake in them, and where it has become synonymous with "gigantic headache." Goldenrods are hated on a par with slimy reptiles, and some of us would prefer the slimy reptiles.


I told a co-worker I was getting a goldenrod case for my phone. "No, you're not," she stated. "You're getting a yellow case."


So yellow it is. But I can't help thinking about all the yellow dots I could have, if only I had the dot case...

No comments: