Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Pink? Purple? Pink? Purple? Aaaaackkk

We are now a two-iPhone household, despite the fact that our house is encased in some sort of cell phone shield that will allow no cell phone to work with any regularity inside the house, and despite the fact that my personal texting skills are roughly on par with a hedgehog's. Probably worse.


When Joe got his iPhone he graciously allowed me to investigate it, which I eagerly did, marveling at how easy it was to find stuff and how the screen moved so fluidly --


"So, how's the phone?" he interrupted at some point.


"Phone?" I said blankly, looking at it. "Uh, I didn't get to that part yet."


Then my phone began exhibiting classic symptoms of Greatly Advanced Age, including needing copious amounts of naps when it was time to be working, and soon it was replaced by a new iPhone.


Of course we did not make such a decision lightly. Purchasing such a device involves many serious considerations, the most important being: What color case to get for it?


Joe did not have to wrestle with this issue, as his phone came with its own case, which expanded the size of the phone to roughly 25 times its original size. This ensures the phone's safety, and also ensures that it does not fit comfortably in one's back pocket.


But I preferred something a little less menacing looking, so I was left to sift through a large assortment of color choices for my case. Being very aware of the gravity of this decision, I spent several hours cross-legged on the floor at Radio Shack debating the respective merits of purple versus pink. The sales clerk had very helpfully shown us where the cases were, although I thoroughly checked every other nearby product in case there was an option he had missed, as if I needed any more options to consider.


Eventually the clerk became concerned about the amount of time I was taking to choose a case. "Can I help with anything?" he said to Joe, nodding in my direction.


"Oh, no thanks," Joe said. "She's just, you know, wanting to make sure she gets the RIGHT color."


The man thought about this. "So...is it a gift or something?"


"Uh, nope," Joe said. "It's for herself."


The man looked slightly confused. Clearly he did not have a spouse, or even a serious girlfriend, if he did not recognize the importance of choosing the right color for all one's accessories.


Eventually, so they wouldn't kick us out of the store, I chose the pink, although my heart really wasn't in it. I took it home, attempted to put it on my phone, and realized that after all the time I'd spend looking at this case in the store, I had neglected to notice the large lettering proclaiming that the product was for the iPod4. Not the iPhone4.


Secretly I was relieved. I didn't really want the pink. I didn't really want the purple. I would have to go online to look for more choices! 


We're sure you'll want to stay tuned for Part II, in which Person Who Cannot Make Simple Decisions About What to Have for Breakfast meets The Unlimited Display of Color Choices.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Should have taken your rollabout cooler & a lawn chair, so u'd be comfy to make such an important decision. After all, its for the princess. The hero is so patient, must have learned that virtue from someone.

ilovecomics said...

Why didn't I think of the cooler and lawn chair?? The Hero is indeed patient, and so is someone anonymous:)