Tuesday, January 11, 2011

All I want for Christmas is...more

This year, owing to the loss of my job and because one of us believes frugality is next to godliness, we decided to adhere to a limit of two gifts each. 


"Does that mean two actual items, or two big boxes into which many items can be stuffed?" I said, just to clarify.


"Two items," the Hero said.


"I like the two big boxes idea."


"Two items."


So when he was asked by his parental unit what he got for Christmas, he informed her that he had received leather gloves and a kettle.


"That's it?" the parental unit exclaimed, clearly believing he had been cheated.


"See, I'll bet your mom would agree with the two big boxes idea," I said.


But thanks to another family member's generosity at Christmas, at least we no longer have to be concerned about entering our retirement years, which are still a few decades away, without an adequate supply of tea. The Hero, who put tea on his Christmas list with the thought that he would receive one box, is now the proud owner of approximately 13 tons of it. All the same kind. If there is ever a tea shortage, we'll be all set.


For my gift, the Hero took me to pick out a watch, although he was not convinced that a watch is a necessary thing to have.


"I don't have one," he said.


"Yes, and you're always asking me what time it is."


"Just use your phone," he said.


"I'm tired of having to dig out my phone whenever I need to know what time it is," I explained.


So we looked at watches. I put one on and asked how he liked it.


He peered closely at it.


"It's really small. Can you even see the time?"


"No, but it sure looks nice."


It's nice to have a watch again. Now if anyone asks the time, I can say, "It's 1:20. Or...wait...maybe it's 5 minutes 'til 4...No, wait...let me get my phone out...."

No comments: