Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Wanted: Ads with correct English

In my continuing search for a job that will allow me to obtain a meaningful and challenging position that allows for advancement, utilize my previous experience and editorial skills, and offer me unparalleled remuneration and lots of days off, including whenever it snows more than a half inch, it is of some comfort to know that at least one group of individuals out there still needs editors. This group consists of employers, in all industries, who post ads on job sites but are not utilizing their advanced writing skills, such as correct spelling.


Of course these employers have not asked for my editorial opinion on their ads, much less offered to pay me large sums of money for giving it. But because my professional code of honor requires that I do something about the situation, I will therefore poke fun at these ads.


  • The ability to obtain an appropraite level of security cleanace is manadatory. But apparently there is no need to know how to spell.
  • Excellent proof reading/editing skills is required. But apparently not the proper use of verbs.
  • May monitor and verify quality in accordance with statistical process or other control procedures. Requires 3-5 years. Uh, is that to complete one job?
  • This opportunity will provide an opportunity to join a dynamic team working to.... Thanks, but I'm not sure there's enough opportunity here for me.
  • Writing and editing with attention to detial. (Please disregard the fact that WE don't pay attention to detial.)
  • High level editing and general writing skills Desired.... My high-level editing skills wonder why you feel compelled to capitalize desired.
  • (Name of company) is IS seeking a talented editor to join our team!  Is that our OUR team?
  • National Aspahlt Pavement Association. I admit that most people, including sometimes me, have a difficult time spelling asphalt. But most people, including me, don't usually spell it this way.

Now that all is right with the world again, I feel beter. Dont you?

No comments: