Thursday, June 30, 2011

Big adventure awaits...if only we knew what it was

A holiday weekend is upon us, and the Hero and I have exciting plans. At least I'm sure they would be if we knew what they were.


Our Doing Things Together motto is "Why plan ahead when you can decide at the last minute and miss out on good deals and accommodations?" Since this motto has stood us in good stead for several years, we have a second motto: "Why do things more efficiently?"


It's not as if there is nothing to do around us. I mean, there's PLENTY of shopping.


In fact, I suggested we go shopping this weekend for antiques in Pennsylvania, which we both like to do, but the Hero did not want to spend the entire weekend shopping, even for antiques. Instead, he has begun to make alarming statements consisting of frightening, subversive words, like "kayaking," "fishing," and "camping on the beach." Interspersed among these are the most alarming words of all: "We could go."


"Camping?" I squeaked. "I don't like camping. YOU don't like camping."


"But on the BEACH. Doesn't that sound fun?"


I realize that it is important, in a relationship, to be supportive of the things the other person likes to do. And I do try. I am perfectly willing, for instance, to try camping. I would even go so far as to stay several nights at Camp Hilton, or Camp Sheraton.


"How about kayaking?" he said.


"Kayaking where?" I said warily. The last time we went kayaking, we ended up looking -- and smelling -- like some prohibited substance.


"Where Bob and I went that one time."


Ah ha! Bob.


"You know," I said, "maybe you need to find some more guy friends like Bob. Do ooga-ooga things together." Bob himself, unfortunately, was recently engaged and, as far as I know, at least temporarily unavailable for doing ooga-ooga things.


The Hero looked thoughtful, although he didn't think it was a practical plan for doing anything this weekend, on such short notice. And so we continue to rack our brains for other ideas of things to do.


Of course, there is always shopping.

No comments: