Monday, November 14, 2011

You want me to go to what?

The Hero has lived through an event that probably few other men have who are not personally responsible for that particular event: a baby shower.


This event, held in honor of our neighbors, was preceded -- in our house, at any rate -- by a game of Twenty Questions.


"Guys are invited?" the Hero said, with heavy disbelief. 


"Yes," I said.


"But are they usually invited?"


"Sometimes," I said.


"Why?"


"Why not?" I said. "Look. Just think of it as a social event. And there'll be food." I said it would be held at one of our favorite restaurants. He perked up. 


But even food only sustains faith for so long.


"Are you sure I'm actually invited?" he said. "It wasn't just 'Oh, bring him along if he's not doing anything'?"


"No," I said. "Your presence, and that of several other men, has been formally requested." I showed him the invitation with his name on it.


"How many guys?" he said suspiciously.


I told him I didn't have an exact head count, but there would be several.


"Are any of them not related, besides me?"


I said I thought so.


His concern turned to whether he might be called upon to do anything embarrassing.


"What do you do at a baby shower? Do I have to play games? Like melt the baby stuck in the ice cube, or something?"


"Where did you hear that?" I said.


He shrugged. 


"Well, you're in luck, because there won't be any games at this shower."


He gave a sigh of relief. "So what will we do, then?"


"Eat, open the presents, and talk. Lots of talking."


He wanted to know what gift we had gotten the couple. 


"Baby books," I said, proudly. As a writer, editor, and former educator, I pride myself on choosing books that are not only entertaining and attractive but also developmentally appropriate for children.


"Books..." he said. "Is that an okay gift?"


One of these books, about cats, weighed about 12 pounds, and this I was tempted to use to make contact with a part of his person. But I didn't want to hurt the book.


I informed him that when I had signed the card, I had also offered to babysit the new Little Person if the parents ever needed someone to help out. He thought this was a very nice gesture.


After the shower, which was lovely, the Hero said that it had been a very nice time.


"Good, I said. "Because when I said in the card that I would babysit, I actually said WE would babysit."


Luckily, we'd already handed over the 12-pound baby book.

2 comments:

A Nosy Neighbor said...

I am breathing a sigh of relief that the Hero lived through the baby shower. :)

ilovecomics said...

And he said he had a very nice time!

P.S. He also says thanks for not having any games. The chocolate was much better. Okay, maybe that part was me. :)