Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Does this scarf make me look big?

It's important in life to be flexible, to not always insist on doing things as you have always done them. My sister and I heartily embraced this philosophy during our Black Friday shopping, deciding that the day's endeavors need not be entirely given over to purchasing gifts for others.


Of course we are not so selfish as to not buy any gifts for anyone else. As noted in the previous blog post, we bought numerous gifts for each other.


But this time we decided that a new approach was needed to shopping for clothes for ourselves. We agreed that we should be open to new types and combinations of clothing items. No longer could we think of an outfit as a couple of separates sharing the same body. We needed to think in ensembles


"Layers," my sister said. "We need to layer. Blouse, sweater, scarf..."


The problem with this approach, it turned out, was -- as my sister declared -- "it makes me look like a house."


This offers a good example of why women like to shop together: so they can persuade each other that, despite the evidence they plainly see in the mirror, they do NOT look like a house. Exchanges like the following are common in women's dressing rooms:


First female, trying on some item of clothing: Ugh. This makes me look like a house!


Supportive female: No, it does not.


First female: Are you SURE?


Supportive female: I think it looks great on you!


First female: It doesn't make my butt look like a house?


Supportive female: No!


First female: OK, I'll get it.


Sometimes, if the females are closely related or have otherwise known each other since childhood, you might hear this: 


First female: Does this sweater make me look like a house?


Second female: No, that sweater does not make you look like a house.


First female: Thank you.


Second female: It makes you look like a factory.


In an effort to be supportive of my sister, I said, "Remember, we're being open...willing to try new things..."


She glared. "I will NOT be open to looking like a house."


So while not giving up entirely on the ensemble idea, we turned our attention to scarves. Scarves are easy, right? They're small. They can go with many different outfits. But we soon figured out that scarves are easy only if you know what the heck to do with them after putting them around your neck.


My sister remembered a technique she had watched someone do with a scarf, and we practiced this, right there in the department store, although we had to wander around the store for a while to find a mirror. As we practiced, other female would-be scarf-wearers joined us, sharing advice, techniques, their cell phone numbers in case we needed further advice after we took the scarf home and forgot what to do with it, etc.


After many treks back and forth to the mirror, I purchased an off-white scarf, which I realized later did not exactly contribute to the brightening of my wardrobe. But it did add some visual interest, particularly when I could not remember exactly how to tie it.


Of course I had to wear the scarf to work the first day I went back. I quickly discovered that while scarves are handy for creating the ensemble look, they are not so handy when you go to wash your hands in the restroom sink at work and there are puddles of water all over the counter, just at the height of the scarf. Or worse, the scarf is eager to check out the sink itself while you wash your hands.


But, as the Hero often says, maybe I can start a new trend: the soggy scarf look.

No comments: