Monday, April 2, 2012

Rite of spring

Spring has come early to many places, causing the fancy of we who are not young men to turn to: Easter candy. Sources* say that during the average Easter season, 15 pounds of chocolate are consumed per person. This is a shocking figure. I personally consume much more than that, although technically my Easter stash includes Christmas and Valentine candy, too.


Easter is now second only to Halloween in the amount of candy consumed. Much of our springtime candy, of course, comes from Easter baskets, but for those of us who have passed our Easter basket days, there is another source of chocolate to which we look hopefully: the company candy bowl.


Fortunately for me, my work office is strategically located in close proximity to the candy bowl. Thus I have an Early Alert System, which tells me when a new supply of candy is being added to the bowl.


Not everyone is pleased when candy makes an appearance, however. One day I heard the bowl outside my office being filled. Immediately a voice said, "I hate you! I hate you!"


This did not faze the person filling the bowl. "I've gained several pounds recently," she announced to the owner of the first voice. "Join me."


"Thank you," said the owner of the first voice, and there came sounds of poking around in the candy bowl. "But...I still hate you."


Ah, the power of chocolate.
__________
*No one in particular.

No comments: