Friday, December 28, 2007

Dreams do come true!

The Internet is pretty amazing. It spawns all kinds of useful sites, such as the one established for the sole purpose of reuniting lost gloves with their owners. I understand that to date, four human/glove pairs have been happily reunited through this effort. This is something to be celebrated, although if someone really wants to be helpful, they could provide a site that will reunite me with my socks that have gotten lost in the dryer.

This blog hasn't figured out how to do that yet (although I did put forth a theory about where those socks go), but it HAS achieved the amazing feat of helping people's dreams come true. I refer specifically to my writing about the Action Figure Librarian with Amazing Shushing Action. As a direct result of this blog, a number of people (specifically, two, including me) have received the very toys they reminisced about! Not only did I get the Action Librarian for Christmas, I got the deluxe set, complete with a rolling cart of books (with tantalizing titles like "30 Days in Red Pants" and "Pablobian Visions"), a reference desk, a computer with a screen that swivels, a background that simulates a real library (minus gum-chewing adolescents), and a librarian of distinct masculine appearance, although it is supposed to represent a female. (Has anyone ever seen a male librarian? Maybe raising librarians to Action Figure status will encourage today's young men to pursue this worthwhile calling.)

As an aside, it is somewhat scary to compare the Action Figure Librarian with a photo of the real-life librarian who inspired it. If that is what one's likeness in plastic inevitably looks like, I can only hope that no one ever takes it upon themselves to make an action figure of me (Blog Writer with Amazing Ability to Write About Inconsequential Subjects).

But back to our story about fulfilled dreams. You'll recall that after I described the Action Figure Librarian that had so captured my interest, I invited readers to reminisce about a childhood toy they had fond memories of. You might also recall that only one reader took me up on this, and she was rewarded by receiving (though not from me) the Poor Pitiful Pearl doll for her birthday. I have seen Poor Pitiful Pearl (or PPP), and she is a very lovely doll, although she does not come with any accessories like the librarian (which is obviously why she is called poor and pitiful).

I know that the rest of you out there are kicking yourselves for not sharing with us the toy you adored as a child. If you had taken that opportunity, just think...for Christmas you could have gotten that sweet little Baby Diaper Rash or The Chicken Limbo Party Game you secretly coveted. But it's too late now. And don't start whining, or the Amazing Librarian will shush you.

No comments: