Wednesday, December 5, 2007

A little fuzzy

I have never had much use for math. Anything that uses "imaginary numbers" and "fuzzy logic" should be regarded with suspicion. I have a feeling that advanced math textbooks are written by deranged people who, for society's safety, have been removed to remote locations and given the task of copying down their innermost thoughts.

Joe took a course in fuzzy logic this semester. When he tells people this, they often react by giving me a look of sympathy. I myself was skeptical of it, even when he told me that fuzzy logic is used in the programming of washing machines, which would seem to give it some legitimacy.

Now, if he'd said it was used in dryers, that would make perfect sense. Think about it. Your socks, which are fuzzy, go into the dryer two at a time. They come out only one to a pair, with no trace of the second one, and the surviving sock is so emotionally scarred by the experience that it has to be thrown away, or at the very best used for dusting.

Could it be that the dryer, if working on a fuzzy logic system, periodically needs to have additional fuzzy input, hence the disappearing socks? Somewhere in that system, hapless socks are being sacrificed to keep the dryer running.

Of course, this is all in the realm of Imaginary Fuzzy Logic, but I think it would make an excellent thesis. Maybe I could even get invited to contribute the idea for a textbook.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You make perfect sense. However, in addition to the stray socks, I have found that my dryer needs to manufacture huge quantities of lint, even when everything being dried is made of cotton and, miraculously, not covered with cat fur before being washed...More evidence of fuzzy logic?

ilovecomics said...

Hmmm, you raise a good point...perhaps the lint is some sort of byproduct of the fuzzy logic process? Either that, or our dryers are throwing up hairballs.