Monday, January 28, 2008

Food funny

Take heart, all you non-Martha Stewarts! If you despair of ever cooking or baking anything that does not burn, fall apart, cave in, or explode, read this excerpt of an actual recipe I found on the Web for a chocolate torte:

"After baking, the torte shrinks, leaving a crater-like top that remains crisp. This crust is a perfect contrast to the moist interior of the cake. Don't worry if pieces of the crust fall off. This is a rustic-looking cake and isn't supposed to be perfect. Simply press the fallen pieces back into place."

Isn't that great? See, if you sound confident enough, you can make even your biggest mistakes sound like something you meant to do, something that is even desirable. So the next time you have company and your dessert or bread or turkey or whatever deflates, determine to say with perfect composure, "This is a rustic-looking (dessert or bread or turkey) and isn't supposed to be perfect." Then pick up the fallen pieces and simply press them back into place, along with your bruised ego.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It may not surprise you to know that I've been "pressing the fallen pieces back" for years...I just didn't realize that one could claim that the item was "rustic".. I wonder if that would apply to parts of the body as well?

ilovecomics said...

Why not? Just make sure you don't say "rusty" instead.

love to laugh said...

This story reminds me of the first cake I attempted to make. Long before Betty Crocker came along. The cake sagged in the middle, like a crater. but I was determined that no one would notice if it were nicely iced with mounds and mounds of icing. The cake fell apart with the icing hanging over the sides. No one ever got to see my first cake. the critters didn't even like it. Confidence didn't work for me. Some people have all the luck or is it guts?

Anonymous said...

my first attempt at baking was cornbread. I accidentally read the 1/2 tsp. of salt as 1/2 cup of salt. My brothers swore I was trying to "kill" them.

How silly, If i really wanted to do them in, I wouldn't have stopped at 1/2 cup of salt!!!!!