Friday, January 4, 2008

Now hiring

I wrote some time ago about the typical verbal exchange I have with a mechanic when something is wrong with my car. Well, I had the joyous experience of taking my car in again this week, but this time, after looking over the invoice and paying for the work, I decided that I am in the wrong line of work. I paid something like $326 for 2 1/2 hours of labor, which translates to a whole lot more money than I make with a master's degree. Therefore, I'd like to have another talk with someone at the garage, but not about my car.

Me: Hi. I'd like to apply for a job as a mechanic.
Supervisor: Do you have any experience?
Me: You mean in getting highly paid?
Supervisor (coughing discreetly): No, I meant as a mechanic.
Me: Oh, is that necessary?
Supervisor (huffily): Of course it's necessary. Our mechanics are highly trained and experienced.
Me: Well, I'm sure I could learn everything I'd need to know.
Supervisor (peering closely at me):
OK, what would you do if a car's EGR valve was not opening when the engine was lugging?
Me (thinking quickly): I'd charge 'em $499 for 2 hours of "examination," $125 for "consultation," and then send them somewhere else to have the work done.
Supervisor: Hmmm, maybe you would work out!

I realize that being a mechanic is not exactly a dream job, even considering the money. For instance, there is the little matter of getting dirty. I do not like to get dirty. I do not like to be around things or people that are dirty. But maybe I could rise to supervisor really fast, and then I wouldn't have to get dirty. I would just have to get really good at catching people when they faint at finding out how much I make.

No comments: