Tuesday, January 15, 2008

In defense of reading as a hobby

Yesterday I wrote about hobbies and how, in Joe's opinion anyway, they ought to "produce" something. (Debt comes to mind as the outcome of many hobbies, but more on that later.) But the more I ponder this subject -- hey, perhaps I could turn pondering into a hobby -- the more I think that reading, which is my personal favorite, is the perfect hobby.

This is precisely because reading does not "produce" anything. When in the course of pursuing a hobby you actually have something to show for it, you are in danger of that something not being as good as someone else's something. For instance, I know without even trying that I would be miserable at any art or craft involving sharp needles or threads or paint or anything whereby I must take a blank thing and make something lovely out of it. Or make anything out of it, for that matter. Also scrapbooking. My few attempts at scrapbooking in the past have been, well, sad.

If you are highly fearful of having your efforts come up short compared with other people's, as I am, then these types of hobbies that produce something are not for you. On the other hand, having a
leisure-time pursuit with no tangible outcome, such as reading, is perfect. There is nothing to compare, no danger of not measuring up, no chance of being judged deficient (other than in the matter of having no "real" hobbies). If you tend to skip over descriptions in a book, or even several chapters, no one is going to know. Or care. (But do not try this in an English class.)

I believe that a proper hobby is something that gives you as much enjoyment as possible with as little effort as possible, and for as little cost as possible (unless, of course, spending money does bring you enjoyment and you can do it with very little effort). What fits this bill better than reading? You don't have to brave cold and wind and snow to participate in it, or melt in the heat. Reading does not require dressing in any weird, fantastic clothes, like biker's shorts, nor does it require fancy, expensive equipment, like a Coring Rig with Large Base Stand, Vac-U-Rig Kit, and Meter Box (which is a real tool, by the way). Yes, you need some printed matter, but if you are like me -- cheap -- you can just go to your local library and get it all for free. Or make friends with someone who always buys the latest bestseller as soon as it comes out, and ask if you can borrow it when they're done reading it. (Just don't let them catch on to your cheapness.)

Reading is also very low-impact, which is important if you are interested in reducing your chances of, say, losing a vital member of your body whose presence you have gotten used to and would sorely miss if it were chopped off in some woodworking or rowing accident.

So as far as I am concerned, reading is the very best hobby one could have. And now if you'll excuse me, I must get back to
being unproductive -- er, reading.

No comments: