Friday, April 23, 2010

Declared old

The Motor Vehicle Administration, in a gesture of goodwill for my approaching birthday, has declared that I am Old, based on the fact that I am over 40. I am therefore subject to Vision Certification if I want to continue enjoying the privilege of driving my vehicle. This Vision Certification, according to the MVA notice I received, can be obtained in one of two ways:

1. I can beg my eye doctor to fill out an MVA form that is 15 pages long, detailing my last vision test, my ability to see peripherally, my ability to swivel my head 360 degrees to be alert to any possible traffic danger, etc. The doctor must confirm that I have perfect 20-20 vision at all times, even while sleeping ("And what did this monster who was chasing you in the dream look like? Uh huh...and what happened when it got within two feet of you? Could you still see its scales clearly?...[writing on the MVA form] could not describe monster in detail...says she was eaten...patient clearly unable to see close up").

2. I can confess that, due to my advanced age, I am a Danger to Society and immediately surrender my license and my car.

Now I can understand if someone is truly elderly. An 89-year-old woman comes in to renew her license, they might have some valid concerns.

MVA employee: "Mrs. Kratz, we're just going to give you a little test to find out how well you can see. Please look into this device here."

Mrs. Kratz: "What device?"

A long pause.

Employee: "So, Mrs. Kratz, how long has it been since you've had a vision test?"

Mrs. Kratz: "Not that it's any of your business, but I'm proud to say I haven't been to an eye doctor since 1952, young man!"

Employee: "Uh, my name is Kathy."

So while I agree that vision certification for driving becomes necessary at some point, I am not 89, nor anywhere close, and besides my license has indicated corrective lenses required since I started driving at 16, and that is not likely to end any time soon. Without my glasses or contacts I am not capable of finding my car in an empty parking lot, let alone navigating my car through autobahn traffic.

I fail to see how reaching the advanced age of 40, and not being able to read print that is smaller than THIS, could affect my driving. I'll be sure to ask Kathy when I go to the MVA.

2 comments:

A Nosy Neighbor Authorized to Drive Without Glasses said...

Oddly enough, the last time I had my license renewed and had to get the vision certification, my eye quack-I mean doctor-bullied me into being able to read the chart well enough so that he could REMOVE corrective lenses needed from my license! I'm not kidding.

ilovecomics said...

And you, of course, have happily provided your quack's -- uh, doctor's -- name, for a fee, to other people with "corrective lenses" on their license...