Monday, April 5, 2010

On the intelligence of pigs

Trends change quickly yet predictably in the world of hair fashion, like exactly every 6 to 8 weeks. I know this because that is generally how often I go to the hair salon, and whenever I go, my stylist informs me of the latest trend, which is never what I currently have, even though at my prior appointment I was brought up to date on the latest fashion.

This time she informed me that the trend now for women is toward a more round look. According to Joe, this may be termed the gumball look, which is what I reminded him of when I got home after my appointment. He was concerned that the gumball look was very short.

"Did you know that pigs are very smart?" I said in an attempt to divert his attention.

I had picked up this bit of information from Margaret while she was making me look like a gumball.

"
Pigs are very intelligent," she announced. "So we've stopped eating pork. Pigs know when it's time to go to the..." She hesitated, reluctant to name the place of their demise. "Well, anyway, I just can't eat anything that's that smart.

"Now chickens," she said, waving her scissors around in an apparent imitation of an unintelligent, aimlessly wandering chicken, "they're different. We do eat a lot of chicken. You look at a chicken, and they don't seem very smart."

She paused, scissors hovering close to my soon-to-be gumball head. "Well, I hope they're not smart," she said, suddenly worried that she might be underestimating the abilities of the poultry mind.

I agreed that chickens did not seem very smart, although privately I wondered if, to be on the safe side, we should stick to eating broccoli.

And, if I am smart, I will not let my hair be cut like a gumball again. But there's little chance of that. The trend has probably already changed.

2 comments:

A Nosy Neighbor said...

I have it on good authority that lima beans are the smartest vegetable...just thought that you should be aware.

ilovecomics said...

Good thing I don't like to eat 'em. :)