Thursday, September 20, 2012

Some days are more fortunate than others


Dear officials of the local commuter train:

I could not help noticing that you have been having a bit of difficulty with the train schedule lately, what with storms knocking out signals, trains breaking down, personnel breaking down and not reporting for work, etc. Perhaps it might be easier to notify riders of the trains that AREN'T having problems than of those that are?

Not that I am criticizing you. I am sure you have had plenty of that from frustrated commuters who just want to get home after a long day of work, or who would prefer not to spend half the morning on the train trying to get to work. 

We do appreciate your sincere apologies and thorough explanations. They don't help that much, to be honest, but it's a nice gesture nonetheless. I personally am more appreciative of another fact that I couldn't help noticing: that these problems usually seem to occur on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

And I do not ride the train on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. 

It has been very thoughtful of you to have things turn out this way, allowing me to miss many of these commuting headaches. And this might seem a little selfish of me, but if any future troubles arise, could you perhaps try to make sure they happen on one of those days? I'm not advocating that your personnel be lax on these days or anything, but maybe they could just be extra vigilant on Monday, Thursday, and Friday. And maybe those severe storms could be limited to Tuesdays and Wednesdays, too. I realize this is not really your jurisdiction, but I'm just saying.

I realize that my request might interfere with the schedules of some of your other riders. I realize it might not be feasible. But -- 

Hey! A thought just occurred to me. Maybe you could just eliminate all these problems on ANY day! Then EVERYONE will be happy. Yes, I like this plan much better.

I'm sure you'll figure out a way.

Sincerely,
Fortunate Rider (and may it stay that way)

No comments: